HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

When comparing the cost with the features and performance, this solution is a good choice.

What is most valuable?

• Separated multilayer and specific SAN Storage operating system (Informos)
  • ASIC based operation
  • High end feature in mid-range scale
  • Wizard based configuration console
  • Scale in scale out forward
  • Storage virtualization technology like chunklet

How has it helped my organization?

Increase provisioning time and reduce configuration complexity based on chunklet technology. It supports advanced virtualization services on storage operations and virtual computing infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

Common data center standards for temperature, humidity, firefighting etc.

I've used the Inserv 7000 series for two years.

Many points were needed for the initial system on first time setup. We had some non-predictable random issues during initialization like non-probable Inserv serial numbers etc. Time was needed for the chunklets restructure to take effect.

Very dependable system structure to each node on healthy clusters.

Based on our experience and the documentation it looks easy.

9 out of 10

9 out of 10

We used to use the EVA 8000 series but they have just two nodes in that series and it is unsupported for active clustering, HA for controllers and nodes. 3PAR is also more cost effective on hardware, and has less performance issues and more scalability.

Complex in initial pre-requirement and finding the serial numbers and the necessary information for setting up the system.

I did the implementation myself.

Yes, we compared this series to the EMC VNX series based on feature/performance/technology and cost.

What other advice do I have?

It has a large basket of advanced features to integrate storage system into the service layer, good performance on provisioning and SAN service.

2 visitors found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarCalvin Zito, HPEStorageGuy

Thanks for leaving the review. I'm obviously biased but I think you have the best mid-range array you could have! But not just me - HP 3PAR was named best-in-class midrange array by DCIG for two years in a row. Here's a blog that talks about it: http://hpstorage.me/17hnng2 (hp.com blog - long ugly URL so using a URL shortner). Thanks again! Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn or Twitter if you need anything.

author avatarCalvin Zito, HPEStorageGuy

A quick follow-up to the DCIG "best-in-class" I mentioned: HP 3PAR All-Flash won the All-Flash Product of the Year Award from TechTarget. I have a blog that talks about it. http://hpstorage.me/19Cw9a8