HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

What is most valuable?

It's a definitely an easy to use interface. It's also easy to learn. We're currently moving over to more HPE solutions, so it was an easy transition.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease of management at the device level. Having the volume sets is a lot more efficient than we do on some other systems, so it's easier to group by host. That was definitely better than the other systems.

What needs improvement?

One big thing I would like to see is to be able to promote a virtual volume while it's still exporting. That's something a lot of the arrays are doing, other vendors, and 3PAR is kind of the only one that's not doing it. It's kind of the only thing that is not there. Everything else is great.

We've been pretty good so far.

We have a few arrays. We have scaled up a little bit. It's been pretty easy to rebalance the arrays while we were scaling. I'm overall happy with that.

It depends on who you get, but sometimes they can be a little bit annoying, depending on the case, but usually they've been pretty good and pretty responsive.

We're a pretty big data center, so we have a lot of EMC and IBM products. We're kind of starting to spread out though. I like 3PAR, that's what I'm in charge of.

EMC definitely has a better support structure. HP is not bad, it's just that with EMC, the their relationship with the customer is a little different than HP's. That's really the only thing that separates it. Performance is performance. 3PAR gets the job done.

It's definitely on the easier side when it comes to storage arrays. It's definitely a smooth array. It was smooth to get up. Smooth to expand.

What other advice do I have?

Know that the raw usable is actually raw and not a lot of arrays come with their usable being RAIDed already. Say it says 270 terabytes, that's raw, and it's actually if you use a RAID5 you got to take a 20%. So you have to adjust for that when you're planning size. Everything else is straightforward.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.