Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
It is proven and integrates well with HPE BladeSystem infrastructure.

Valuable Features:

• The most valuable feature to me is its reliability. After that, it is the architecture, and the rest of the HPE sort of products, like the blades and the storage.
  • You've got the best of breed from a storage perspective, and a proven solution that integrates well with the HPE c7000 or the BladeSystem infrastructure. You have a solution that has been tried and tested by HPE as an overall solution.
  • It enables us to use a virtualized layer. Until we deployed our 3PAR, we had pretty much everything as physical servers. With 3PAR, we are in the process of completing the virtualization of our services.

Room for Improvement:

Maybe a simplified licensing model would help clients. If they are small, they are going to use a very granular licensing model approach.

Stability Issues:

Stability-wise, I think it's very good. Support-wise, I think it’s debatable based on some issues that we had with it.

Scalability Issues:

I think the scalability is one of the factors that caused us to select 3PAR.

Technical support was average, and bad handling some incidents.

Previous Solutions:

We were using direct attached storage. We moved to Sun; and then we decided to implement 3PAR.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was complex. I would say it was flawed because we had issues.

Other Solutions Considered:

For the storage, we looked at Talent, which is now Dell. We also looked at Nutanix and Tintri. The main reason we chose HPE was that we already had an HPE infrastructure; and it felt like it was the best solution for our needs. The product met our requirements at the time.

Reliability is very important in a vendor. We also look at the breadth of offerings because we like to keep things simple. Rather than choosing a varied mix from a multitude of vendors, we like to go with a small number. I have a small team and it's easier from a management perspective, as well as understanding and supporting the product in the best way possible.

Other Advice:

It all depends on what you need, and how you can justify the cost. It is not a cheap solution. It depends on what you have. If it's a brand new setup, then there are other paths you can take, and it's worth researching them. If you already have HPE deployments in-house on the server side, not the storage, I think 3PAR will definitely make a very great addition to your portfolio.

0 Comments