Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
We like the reports provided by the management console and the web-based interface for some parts of the monitoring.

Valuable Features:

The main features are good pricing, very good options, and ease of use. From a management point of view, the reports provided by the management console are very good.

Room for Improvement:

We are pretty happy with what we have. One small disappointment was when we invested in an HPE 3PAR 7440c two years ago. We had heard that it was supposed to be a long-term system. Around a year later, when they answered our RFP, it was for an HPE 3PAR 8400c, which was already on the market. The HPE 3PAR 7440c system was a bit old. I would appreciate if they made more of an investment in the “c” series.

We are wondering what we should do for the next purchase, because we want to invest for five years going forward to protect our investment. I know that we have the support for new, huge capacity, so on the technical side, there is no pressure.

I would like to see a bit of improvement from the new managed interface because they have this Windows client which was used in the past. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it worked fine.

The new web-based interface for reports is great for some parts of the monitoring. But for day-to-day usage, it’s not very user-friendly.

Stability Issues:

This solution has been in production for a year and a half, and we have installed everything on it. It’s 99% stable. We had some crashes, but they were due to technical problems. All companies have these kinds of things happen.

Scalability Issues:

The scalability of this solution is pretty easy. When we did the initial sizing of the solution, I estimated our business needs at the time. Approximately three years ago, the estimate was about 700 TBs in total. We had two sites, so I sized it with all of the documentation and with staff feedback to have it grow in size to 1.5 PBs per site. That comes out to 3 PBs in total.

We have had very extensive growth due to some medical applications we use, such as DNA and image analysis. We are up to 2 PBs for each system. This is our maximum capacity, but it's our problem because we scaled it up too much.

I have used technical support and they are pretty good, responsive, and quick. Many companies outsource technical support and then you have a very process-by-process situation. Overall, the technical support is okay. We've had some problems, but we can survive.

Previous Solutions:

When I arrived two and a half years ago, they were using multiple Windows solutions. They were using NetApp for all of the file services and we decided to separate. We decided to keep NetApp for all these file services, but I suggested that we use FlexArray in order to virtualize our NetApp tool with a disk from HPE 3PAR.

They also had a lot of Hitachi Data Systems (HDS). They were customers of Hitachi for 10-15 years. They had multiple systems. My goal was to consolidate everything on those boxes. Currently, we have one storage box per site. There are almost 2 PBs for each site and we have storage arrays to perform the deduplications and backups.

Since I already had experience with storage solutions for almost 15 years with IBM and Hitachi solutions, I did an RFP to find our next provider of a storage solution. I made a request for features. As a public institution, we are primarily focused on price, and the competitive price was one of things I really appreciated about HPE.

Initial Setup:

I was involved in the initial setup and it was really, really straightforward and easy. Because we are one of the biggest customers of HPE 3PAR solutions in Switzerland, our problem was that the consultants weren’t with us during the installation. The installation was just done by installation wizards.

When we did some auditing, we requested a highly technical guy from HPE to come directly to us. They sent us someone from another city and he did okay, given our large environment. For our environment, installation wizards are not so good. We needed to fine-tune the installation. For basic environments, for perhaps 70-90% of installations, the installation wizard should be okay.

Other Solutions Considered:

We received four replies on the RFP, and HPE beat them all in terms of price.

Other Advice:

You need a good service contract. HPE has a solution called Datacenter Care. If you are a big, critical customer, then you should get this type of contract.

1 Comment

Brian bouldin li?1422564741

Sergui, thanks for your review of the HPE 3PAR array. I'd like to understand more about your comments regarding the management software. If you're willing, please contact me directly to discuss them.

Like (0)30 January 17