HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

All-flash performance means that we can host more VMs on a smaller virtual volume

What is our primary use case?

We're using all-flash 3PAR to set up a private cloud hosting platform within our company; so for the amalgamation DCC work, bringing smaller datacenters onto the sites. We use that as our primary storage. We use RCG technology to replicate across our two datacenters.

It's seamless. We've had no issues at all.

How has it helped my organization?

Certainly now, with the all-flash arrays, the performance that we get out of those means that we can host far more VMs on a smaller virtual volume. We get much better performance out of those volumes now.

What is most valuable?

• The Remote Copy Group is amazing for the replication stuff.
  • We also use dynamic optimization to go between tiers.
  • The reporting, as well. We can quickly see performance per CPG and per LUN. You can drill right down to see actual performance to the virtual volumes themselves. That's really good.

What needs improvement?

We're going to start to explore integration with public clouds, and I know that that's something that's very hot in the storage space at the moment. That's something we're looking at.

Apart from that, we're looking forward to going to the next firmware major release 331. And also the InfoSight stuff that's coming along the pipeline.

3PAR, for us, has been incredibly stable. We haven't had many issues at all, except at periods of change; in firmware updates, that kind of stuff.

We have seen some issues prior, but those have been resolved very quickly by the engineer who's been working with us on the firmware upgrade. We've rolled back, fixed those issues, and then been able to proceed.

Really scalable. That's one of the reasons we're here this week at HPE Discover, is to have a look at what options we've got to increase the space in our 3PAR, because our platform's growing. Our storage will grow with it.

We use support all the time. Once you get to the level-2, level-3 guys, then usually they've got the right ideas.

It's getting better. I think escalation processes have improved dramatically over the last 12 months. We're engaged with our account managers as well, to help improve that process. We're quite strongly engaged with HPE about the technical review and support process. We have had issues in the past, I'm not going to lie. But it's getting better.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to selecting a vendor we're pretty much an HPE house. But I think the options you have to expand - within the storage space - you've got to have all those options. Especially performance. I think that's what we're looking for. And the support, as well.

It's an eight out of 10. It's pretty solid. We've had a few problems. But, from a performance point of view, our customers are very happy and so are we.

I'd take a serious look at it. I think 3PAR is a great product.

2 visitors found this review helpful