HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

It has been easier to provision storage and it has been faster using it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being all-flash. We have an all-flash SAN. It has been great having production systems be much faster than they were previously. The UI is nice. It is easy to work with.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been easier to provision storage and it has been faster using it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see compression and deduplication. I know that future versions of the software will have compression.

Stability got off to a rocky start. It has been much more stable after we went through some best practices guides. We ran into some issues where we had to work with support and high level engineers to get through. It was not something that was readily apparent, but we were able to overcome those issues. Had we followed the best practices guide from the beginning, it might have been avoided.

We have scaled it and the scalability is great. You have to add everything in pairs though, so we're at a point now where a small addition would require some extra overhead. In general, we've been able to double the storage and get better availability out of it. It wasn't too crazy.

Technical support has been helpful when I've been able to reach them. We would try to submit support cases online and that didn't work. I never heard back from them. I finally figured out there was a phone number to call. Everyone likes to do everything online if they can, but the phone number has gotten me through to support.

Our SAN was outdated, so we needed to get something new. We evaluated some different vendors instead of sticking with our typical one. We ended up switching over to 3PAR. We were using EMC VNX. This decision took place before I came on-board, but I believe the short list was HPE was EMC.

When selecting a vendor I look for support. That is ironic, given my previous answer that indicated otherwise. Support is a big deal. If you need help, you want to be able to get it.

I was not involved in the installation. I wish I would have been involved. I inherited it.

What other advice do I have?

Read the best practices guides.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.