HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

Easy to maintain storage array and enables us to scale faster and get our applications out in much less time

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR as our primary storage array.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to scale faster and get our applications out in much less time. We don't need to worry about the platform's ability to manage the workload, so we are pretty happy.

Our VMware platform sits on 3PAR. We also have databases, ERP applications, and websites running on it.

All-Flash also positions our organization for growth. It certainly has its place. We don't use All-Flash because the performance of the existing arrays knows the job, but I certainly see where if we are doing data-intensive operations it could assist us.

We deployed InfoSight predictive analytics not too long ago. It improved our management of VMs. We are now able to see a lot more using InfoSight and we have a pretty good idea of exactly what's going on in our storage array.

The storage array absolutely increases performance. Compared with what we had before 3PAR, this has certainly done its job.

The solution has also helped us reduce time to deployment, I would say by at least 30%. It's easier for us to deploy. We get our servers up and running quickly and that way we support our environment faster so we can be more agile.

It has also significantly improved throughput, so we don't need to worry about performance for any of our platforms.

What is most valuable?

The ease of maintenance is what is most valuable for us. We don't need to worry about upgrading the platform. HPE takes care of it for us.

Deduplication functionality is pretty good. We have had it for quite a few years. We are pretty impressed with their capabilities and we've never really had a problem.

What needs improvement?

As it is, it does its job very well, so it's very difficult for me to say what we should be looking for in the next platform. I think cloud integration would probably be the biggest part because that's where everyone is going and the seamless integration between on-premise and cloud is an important part of any IT strategy today.

It's very stable.

Also, the solution's availability is remarkable. We have never had a breakdown over a storage array.

It's very scalable as well. We never had a problem where that is concerned.

They are pretty good at what they do. Those guys fix whatever the problem is. We just kind of plug it in and leave. We don't look back at it again.

We previously used HPE. We had to upgrade because our previous platform was end of life.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The guys knew what they're doing and I have a technical team to assist as well.

HPE did the deployment for us. Their onboarding process is pretty good.

We have absolutely seen a return on our investment. I don't have numbers offhand, but the organization has certainly grown significantly as a result of the kind of platform that we have deployed.

All of the tier one vendors were on there: Dell EMC, etc. From a perspective of price point, performance, and integrity, we felt that HPE gave us the best value.

What other advice do I have?

It's not necessarily about the price. The price is certainly an important factor, but what the solution does and how it supports you is even more important than price.

Our biggest lesson was that we need to do our homework and make sure that we're going with a vendor that can support us in the long term.

I would probably rate this as eight and a half out of ten. It does what it's supposed to and does that very well, even if there are areas to improve on. More integration with cloud would be great. But what it does, it does very well.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users