HPE Hyper Converged Review

A very robust solution, which is easy to manage. It has increased our operational efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

Before deploying the product, we did not have any enterprise IT infrastructure. Now, with the HC380 deployment, we succeeded in building all the required servers, organizing the data and protecting it, which has increased our operational efficiency and level.

Now, we have flexibility thanks to HPE HC380 and VMware.

What is most valuable?

1. The ease of use and management.
  2. The speed: It is extremely fast.
  3. The price per value compared to other solutions, like Nutanix and SimpliVity. (We made the deal before approval of HPE SimpliVity deal).
  4. The HA, which means I have a copy of the VMs always available, and the moment a VM is down, the system tries to power it on again.

The drawback: I do not have deduplication, compression, and DR features, which were later addressed through HPE SimpliVity acquisition.

What needs improvement?

Data protection and optimization: It is really weak. They do not offer deduplication or compression. Also, we do not have a real backup solution. It is just snapshots, which is forcing us to do automatic backups of the extremely important data on different servers. Thus, if I can have a deal with HPE to have an upgrade to SimpliVity with our current agreement, it would work well. We are in negotiations and we hope to reach happy ending soon.

Not yet at all. It is very stable and robust. The only problem HC380 has is the data backup and management (deduplication, compression, and WAN optimization).

I have not faced this as we have not scaled up yet. We might scale up as we are planning to implement SAP S/4HANA.

I have proactive support from HPE. Their support is really good and the moment you need them, you can find them.

Not at all. Previously, we did not have a hyper-converged solution.

The initial setup took almost two days as we were the first to implement this solution in the region and none of the team had experience, although they were trained. They were always in contact with HPE support.

HPE pricing is good. It was much cheaper than their competitors. It does not have any hidden costs as the other competitors. I just have to pay for the support after my three year support contract finishes.

Yes, Nutanix and SimpliVity.

Nutanix pricing was slightly more expensive. After three years, I have to pay support three times more than what I will pay for HPE.

For SimpliVity, buying two servers of SimpliVity would cost me twice as much as buying three servers of HPE HC380 at that time of purchase. Now, the gap has been reduced, that is why I am in discussions with them.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very robust solution and easy to manage. If you do not have the budget limitation constraints, my advice is to go for HPE SimpliVity as it is the most complete solution until now, if I am not mistaken.

HC380
More HPE Hyper Converged reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.