HPE Hyper Converged Overview

HPE Hyper Converged is the #11 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: HPE Hyper Converged vs VxRail

What is HPE Hyper Converged?

HPE Hyper Converged solutions combine intuitive software with the reliability of a world class platform to deliver cloud-like simplicity to your business.

Now, IT can become an internal service provider to end-users by quickly delivering the resources they need for application development and consumption. With HPE Hyper Converged systems companies can operate with cloud efficiency to simplify IT operations with one comprehensive control panel to deploy, monitor, analyze and update – with a single generalist; consume with cloud flexibility to deliver a cloud-like experience, with multi-tenant workspaces that eliminate stranded resources and flexes on demand; and deploy at cloud speed to empower developers and lines-of-business with a self-service portal that can instantly compose and recompose VMs in minutes. Built-in enterprise grade features, such as performance and resiliency enable HPE Hyper Converged systems to easily handle a wide variety of virtualized workloads, including general purpose virtualization, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), and cloud.

HPE Hyper Converged is also known as HPE Hyper Converged 380, HPE Hyper Converged 250, HPE Hyper Converged 250 for Microsoft CPS.

Download the Hyper-Converged (HCI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE Hyper Converged Customers

North Lindsey College, FireWhat?, HudsonAlpha

HPE Hyper Converged Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Hyper Converged pricing:
  • "The solution is too expensive for our customers. The pricing should be lower."
  • "The solution is expensive - not only the hardware costs but server costs too. And the more you scale, the more expensive it gets."
  • "It is an expensive solution, however. If they could adjust the pricing, that would be helpful."
  • "There are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."

Alessandro Pregliasco
System Specialist at Techedge
High quality solution for hybrid cloud orchestration with quick and easy hardware scalability

What is our primary use case?

In this particular case, the HPE Hyper Converged solution is used in a hybrid cloud configuration. We assess the disk space and partition additional capacity. The performance is good compared to the cost of the solution. I offer it to my customers. If we propose a solution, we must ensure that the platform quality is very high. Also, the cost of the solution is important.

• "The HPE Hyper Converged solution is used in a hybrid cloud configuration. We assess the disk space and partition additional capacity."
  • "Some improvement is required in the availability of the data and performance. The solution is too expensive for our customers. The pricing should be lower."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate HPE Hyper Converged an eight.
WZ
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Saves us time but it is too expensive to scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to keep all our data storage in one solution.

• "What I really like about this program, is that it needs little space and it works really fast, so it saves us time."
  • "The solution is not very stable."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to clearly know what you want. Do you want more disk space? More storage? What is your goal with this program? In a hyper-converged environment you have many applications that need more storage and then it gets expensive. Also if you want to scale and if you have to do backups and make snapshots. If you need regular storage, you simply use a disc in and it's easier. I rate this solution a five or six out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AM
Solutions Architect at Ingram Micro Inc.
An excellent virtualization solution that's easy to implement and simple to scale

• "The most valuable feature is the in-built backup system. The backup speed is also excellent."
  • "The solution can be improved on the management side. More management features should be added to future releases."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. If you're looking for virtualization solutions, this is a very good product. If you're an organization that does not need virtualization or has some applications that cannot use it, you should look into other solutions, such as HP Synergy. That's an enterprise-level product, however. It's not suitable for SMBs. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
BartHeungens
Hybrid Infrastructure Solution Architect at Bitcon
Resilient datacenter virtualization with good duplication and compression

What is our primary use case?

Our main use of the HPE Hyper Converged is for datacenter consolidation.

• "The most valuable features are resiliency and data protection."
  • "A software-only version of the solution, without the hardware, would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

The assessment of the current configuration is the most important to make a good sizing of the new solution because it does good duplication and compression, but it's really hard to select the correct product sizing. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten because ten is perfect and there is nothing on the market that is perfect.
Hatim Ali
System Administrator at IMC
Good data application and data recovery but is a bit expensive

• "If you were comparing this solution to VMware, it has more features, and it's very fast on the recovery."
  • "One problem I've had is that I was trying to do a move and it was not working. I was given an error and a message asking me to shut down the machine first and then move it to another host."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is easy to use and the data application and data recovery so far are better and faster than the competition. Many other features are really great. I would rate it a seven out of 10. We like Hyper Converged HPE, but there's definitely a lot of unfamiliar features that I cannot comment much about until I've experienced them.
Zeljko Radjen
Data Centre Solution Department director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent data protection features and is easy to add additional load

• "I've found the data protection features the most valuable."
  • "The price can be improved. We would like to see support for some open source virtualization technology like for example KVM."

What other advice do I have?

I would say that this solution is good depending on your needs and on budget. It's a good solution. Compared to the previous solution we used, it may not be vas good. But generally speaking, it's okay. I cannot say anything bad. It's only very small differences. I would rate this solution eight out of 10. I would still like to see some other hypervisors available as an option to be used on the system - like KVM or Microsoft Hyper-V.
AD
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent hyper-convergence capabilities with good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for internal applications.

• "Hyper-convergence is the most valuable aspect of the solution. We can avoid downtime when there's maintenance or updates needed. Also, we have homogenous hardware, so we have a lot of trust in the solution's reliability."
  • "The solution would be better served if it integrated with other solutions better."

What other advice do I have?

I use the on-premises deployment model. HP has more experience making hyper-converge conversions, so they're easy to manage, and there are a lot of products that are compatible with it. Whether or not it would work for others depends on their environment. The solution would work best for businesses that are small to medium in size. I'm not sure how well it would work in a large environment. I would recommend the product to others. I would rate it eight out of ten.
ZazaGabashvili
Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Fast deployment, secure, and easy to upgrade

What is our primary use case?

The deployment model of this solution was on-premises.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are fast deployment, security, and it is easy to upgrade."
  • "Providing local technical support and improving the price are areas this service needs to consider improving."

What other advice do I have?

I am not currently using this solution but I do have some experience. In my previous job, we were using this solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 2 more HPE Hyper Converged Reviews
Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free Hyper-Converged (HCI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix, and more!