Huawei NGFW Review

Quite stable with good security and holds its own against other products in terms of functionality

What is most valuable?

We are still really just using the third party NIB and IDS for monitoring. As for the integrated platform, we haven't upgraded the new one.

We've just been playing Huawei initially. Only now are we doing the Huawei firewall call integration and we haven't actually completed that portion yet.

The security is good. It's as effective as anything else on the market.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved. As we've gone along, we've realized the support is not effective due to the contracts we have. They need to offer more support upfront, no matter what contract you have.

The solution requires a more interactive dashboard. That would make it easier than playing with configurations the way we have to now.

It would be better if upgrading the solution was easier.

The solution needs four-way deployments and dashboard confirmation.

The product should be able to integrate with products like Ansible.

The stability of the solution is good. It doesn't crash or freeze, and I don't recall experiencing bugs or glitches. It's reliable. Most of our integrations have been okay.

Without a proper contract in place, you can't really access the technical support you need. We haven't been satisfied with the level of service we've received.

I'm also experienced with pfSense, Barracuda, and more of Cisco enterprise firewalls, as well as ASA.

I believe that, although Huawei seems to hold its own against most other products, there are features of Cisco Firepower in particular that don't exist on Huawei's solution.

The pricing is okay, however, support comes as a separate contract, and, if it expires, it can cause issues like what we are facing right now, where you need support and you don't have a contract in place and therefore can't get the help you require.

It's costly, in terms of the support contract. We'd prefer a solution that allowed us toe update or upgrade incrementally and had the support there and ready to go.

In our case, as well, it's a whole setup and not just an appliance, which is maybe why the pricing is so high and why we are facing difficulties.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't worked too closely with the solution, so I don't understand its full capacity.

We have an entire Huawei architecture center. We do have equipment on the firewall side, run by Huawei, however, we haven't upgraded so far, we're just doing it to run parallel assistance with Cisco.

We just need support from Huawei but we have not paid for the support yet, and we're lacking in that space. For that reason, we're trying to run another Cisco solution.

Due to the fact we are a government organization, we need to only use an on-premise solution, although we are planning to integrate into the public cloud.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's capabilities, at the end of the day, are quite good. However, we prefer Cisco, as it has a very good support system and users can upgrade incrementally more easily.

More Huawei NGFW reviews from users