Huawei NGFW Review

A next generation firewall solution that's easy to implement, but technical support could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei NGFW for our internal infrastructure. We also implement it for our customers. Our primary use case is for our internal protection. Then for end-users we we implement Huawei firewalls.

What is most valuable?

I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately.

I have been working with Huawei NGFW for five years.

It's a stable solution.

I think Huawei is still okay. Scalability is not an issue. Basically, you don't have very tight control like the Cisco firewall. Maybe a very tight control in the number of concurrent connections if you acquire a license for this. Huawei is quite not so tight. It's quite easy to handle all this stuff.

Technical support could be better. The reason is that the Huawei support team is mainly in China. The communication would be mostly in Mandarin. I don't know what's wrong with the China part because whatever email communication comes to us, it looks like it was scanned. Most of the email attachments couldn't go through. Sometimes you request further analysis but unfortunately, all these attachments weren't able to go through. It's the same to even sign out of some solutions. You find software upgrade for new versions, but you're also not able to go through to manage a great firewall. So communication is a major concern.

The initial setup is okay because you basically have to follow the user interface and configuration. Setup is quite easy to follow as long as you have all these network consents and firewall knowledge, you can do it easily.

When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

We cannot recommend Huawei NGFW to others. For ourselves, we've already made a decision not to buy this product in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Huawei NGFW a six.

More Huawei NGFW reviews from users
...who compared it with Sophos XG
Learn what your peers think about Huawei NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.