IBM Cloud Pak for Data Review

Good reporting, but resource utilization is high and technical support can be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy company that specializes in data integration and we advise clients on what solutions will best meet their requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are data virtualization and reporting. Data virtualization has to do with integrating data from different databases.

What needs improvement?

The utilization of system resources is high.

The technical support could be a little better.

Having a "lite" version for a reduced price would be of interest to smaller companies.

I only began using the IBM Cloud Pak for Data recently, although some of the people in my team have been using it for close to a year and a half.

This product is stable enough. Like with all of these large packages, it's a combination of different tools that have been brought together, so stability is always an issue with them. It will improve over time.

IBM has enough experience with scalability, although I have found that the Cloud Pak for Data uses a lot of resources. It is not very resource-economic.

We get support directly from IBM and I would say that it's good enough. It can be better, but at this point, it's sufficient.

These integration-type products have a lot of things that are now pre-packaged in a cloud environment. There are similar solutions in Microsoft Azure, Google, and others. From an educational or teaching perspective, I think that as these systems start to have more influence in the market, there will be big a bigger concentration on them in terms of training.

At this point, I have only looked at them in a general sense and have not had much hands-on experience. I have focused more on open-source products.

I think that this solution is targetted for larger companies and it would be of interest to them, but for smaller companies, it would be tough to get value out of it.

I think that this product is too expensive for smaller companies.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.