IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

The Data Activity Monitor covers data warehouses and file shares. It helped control excessive administrator rights to databases.

What is most valuable?

It’s available as a hardware appliance as well as software. This provides flexibility as to how you want to deploy the tool.

It can automatically locate DBs, as well as discover and classify sensitive data.

Data Activity Monitor covers what appears to be every DB imaginable, even data warehouses and file shares.

It allows administrators to enforce trigger alerts built around predefined policies, so that any access to sensitive data can be tracked and blocked if necessary.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped control excessive administrator rights to databases and automated the compliance auditing process.

It located/discovered unknown databases and the sensitive data that existed in those databases.

What needs improvement?

There was a slight performance tax on the system and load balancing could be better. We would also like more robust reporting.

I have used Guardium for six months.

Once it was installed and implemented, it seemed to be a very stable product.

This is definitely a scalable product. You can build out a basic stand-alone architecture with one collector all the way to enterprise wide architecture that covers multiple datacenters and continents.

I never interacted with tech support.

No previous or different solution was used.

If I remember correctly, the setup was a bit complex; not so much the installation, but a lot of tweaking and tuning of policies, setting up traffic filters, whitelisting the traffic, and so on.

I was not privy to this information.

I wasn’t part of the evaluation for the tool.

What other advice do I have?

Try to have a dedicated team. There are a lot of moving parts and you need take a hands-on approach. It doesn’t come configured out of the box.

10.0
More IBM Guardium Data Protection reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about IBM Guardium Data Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.