IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

Heuristic network traffic analysis enables us to implement rule-based algorithms

What is our primary use case?

Database activity monitoring.

It performs its job quite well.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Guardium to support security initiatives and compliance policies such as  APCI, SOX, GDPR, pretty much everything.

We are in the process of integrating Guardium with a couple of systems including IDSM.

It does save us time and money. I can't quantify it in terms of money, but it has been very difficult to analyze all the network traffic somewhere else. Guardium provides that feature, it's heuristic. So we have rule-based algorithms in place to take care of that.

What is most valuable?

The ability to do its job properly, database activity monitoring for insider threat. That's primarily why we use it and it does a good job.

Among the advanced features, we use Vulnerability Assessments. We are in the process of using Discovery Classification as well.

What needs improvement?

We have made a list of RFIs. There are features like end-to-end and S-TAP mapping, and the ability to install policies for your configuration builder. They're not there, but we'd like to see them in the next version.

Stability has improved with the newer versions.

It scales well. The newer versions scale very well compared to the earlier versions.

They're brilliant.

I was not involved in the initial setup, my manager was. But I have been involved with the latest versions. Initially, from 32-bit to 64-bit was a nightmare, but the latest 64-bit versions are pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, what's important for us is

• how quickly they can provide customer support
  • scalability
  • reliability
  • dependency.

Overall, I'd rate it at eight out of 10. It could be a 10, however there are few features, like the ones I mentioned, that are still a work in progress.

Regarding advice to a colleague, determine what your business needs are. If your business needs are similar to the ones Guardium solves then you should go for it. The implementation is seamless, the requirements are straightforward, and it's easy to use the product.