IBM solidDB Review

​No other solution came close to this product's speed and tech support is on a really high level

What is most valuable?

Memory cache DB and carrier grade high availability, best fit to Telco demands.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we had our own in-house developed DB, now we can focus on our solutions and take a real-time DB as good as a working black box.

What needs improvement?

Data replication and data distribution between multiple nodes definitely have room for improvement here.

15 years.

The core solidDB product is very stable, which is hard to say for the data replication part.

SolidDB is at the moment only scalable on two nodes and is very stable.

Tech support is on a really high level. It is nice to work with those guys.

As I already said before, we had our own in-house developed DB and it takes a lot of effort to develop and maintenance it. Our focus was not to develop databases, so we had to switch to something out of house.

Initial setup is straightforward.

Since we use solidDB as an OEM product for Telco purposes, the licensing model is adapted to Telco's needs.

Years ago, we also tried different solutions (Oracle's TimesTen, Open Source PostgreSQL, and IBM Informix), but none of them came even close to solidDB's speed.

What other advice do I have?

If you need local DB cache with extreme speed, then go for it, if you need something to work as a distributed cloud database, then solidDB would not be the right decision.

With our Telco experience, we help with suggestions for new features and improvements of existing ones for new versions of solidDB. Also, in our labs, we do some pre-alpha testing to help them to complete some new features in the right way.