IBM Spectrum Virtualize Review

We use the tool to manage our storage.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a lot of flexibility and ease of management. We have all the tools in one place. We pretty much do all our storage using the Spectrum Virtualize. It makes it really easy for us to manage all our storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of different tiers of storage. We have enterprise all the way down to applications that don't need that much performance. It gives us the flexibility to move things in between these. I think a lot of the benefit is just the ease of use of the tool itself.

What needs improvement?

We are pretty happy with the roadmap that we've seen with the stuff that is coming.

In more recent years, we've been very happy with stability. We went through a lot of bumps with the earlier releases of code.

We've also been very happy with the scalability.

We are not happy with the technical support.

In the last seven or eight years, I honestly think that IBM's technical support has gotten way worse. It's so hard to get hold of someone. There's no more live troubleshooting. In the old days, we used to have live troubleshooting. Now it is a matter of sending them logs and "we'll get back to you. Send us logs and we'll get back to you". It gets pretty frustrating, especially when you're supporting applications that are 24/7.

All they can do is say "send us logs and we'll get back to you". So we are not happy with the support at all.

This solution was actually chosen before I got there. I wasn't a part of the decision making. I was a part of the implementation, but not the decision making.

I was involved with the initial setup. It was pretty straightforward.

We've compared it to other platforms like EMC. This product is really intuitive. It is really easy to use. So from that point of view, it's really good.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, definitely give this a look.

In the past, we've also looked at other solutions. So far, especially from the management point of view, being the administrator for the systems, it can't be beat. I think the tool itself is really intuitive. It's really easy and has a lot of features. Ease of management is the biggest thing. We've been pretty happy with the performance.

Probably the biggest hit, though, is the support.

More IBM Spectrum Virtualize reviews from users