IBM Spectrum Virtualize Review

Provides disaster recovery, replication, and multi-site setup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are disaster recovery, replication, and multi-site setup. Being able to quickly recover in a disaster and knowing that your data is protected across multiple sites is important.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are protection of data, usability, and performance speed in a high capacity setup.

What needs improvement?

We found a gap for smaller clients. Right now, the only offering is a huge, rack-sized storage device, and no more. There was nothing that came after the DS-1600. I'd like to see a smaller form factor for smaller clients.

The product is very, very stable. It is much more stable than the open system configurations that we've worked with. It has the highest stability that we have seen.

The scalability is very good. It is about even with the open system offerings.

I have used technical support. The process to open problem management requests should be faster. Especially in a high pressure situation when things are going wrong. It would be good to just have a quicker way to get the problem out there and get a response.

The initial setup was complex, but that's what keeps me employed. So, it's quite all right.

It's the best mainframe storage available. It is much better than EMC and other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to familiarize yourself with the levels of virtualization and understand how the product works at a lower level in order to implement it.

More IBM Spectrum Virtualize reviews from users