IBM Sterling File Gateway Review

Too many features offered; usability, performance, and reliability, are not good

What is our primary use case?

I work as a consultant to one of our clients who use SFG.

What is most valuable?

The functionality of this solution is very high and it has many features. The one feature, which is good is that you are able to plug in your own code. For example, if you want to process files, you can write your own code to parse the file the way you like. You can interpret it, so feature wise, it is rich.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with this solution is that it has so many features which is in itself the problem. It should be just a simple file transfer solution. It's very frustrating  because it's a very rich tool but it has so many problems. The UI is essentially not good, the interaction with the control center and report runs are not good. The usability, performance, and reliability, are absolutely no good. There is a newer version, perhaps it's better.

I've been using this solution for six months.

This solution is not at all scalable.

I know there are some pretty good people who know how to deal with the tool and fix problems. We had to engage with the support a lot of times which indirectly means that the product is not good. Again, I hear the latest version is an improved product.

The initial setup is fairly easy, it's not that tough.

What other advice do I have?

There are solutions like GoAnywhere or Axway where the usability and flexibility is so easy. SFG has a legacy we have to deal with. I know they have pretty big clients and are one of the prime vendors. I'm not talking about the latest version of SFG, I haven't had a chance to look at it. If what they promise is correct, it might be a big improvement.

I would rate this product a two out of 10.

More IBM Sterling File Gateway reviews from users
...who compared it with Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Axway, Progress Software and others in Managed File Transfer. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.