IBM Watson Machine Learning Review

Stable and scalable, but not easy to expand

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data science purposes. We use it for the deep learning, machine learning, and classification of the data.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very valuable to our organization due to the fact that we can work on it as a workflow. That's the processing we wanted to go with. All the data science on the package needs to be able to easily fill the workflow, and it does this.

The solution is extremely scalable, which was an important aspect for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve on its consumerization. They need to expand on it. Right now, they don't make it very easy.

Scaling is limited in some use cases. They need to make it easier to expand in all aspects.

Their service is a little bad sometimes.

We've been using the solution for at least three years, however, I do believe it has actually been longer than that.

The stability is good. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze and it's not buggy in any way.

We do have some issues with scalability. While we can easily scale some use cases, we can't scale others. We're not sure why and we wish this was better, as being able to scale is important to us.

Over 50 people currently use the solution and most of them are data scientists.

The technical support is okay. However, I find that corporate support is weak. If you're only looking to upgrade, you can hit a wall. That said, the support people are very knowledgeable. It's more of a corporate problem rather than a technical support problem, as I do find the technical support staff pretty helpful overall.

I also have experience with Dataiku. I prefer Watson to use Dataiku, due to the fact that it's more flexible as a solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure about the licensing costs. That's not really my department.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using right now.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. It's more flexible than, say, Dataiku, even though their service can be a little bad sometimes.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It can handle most of the work we need it to do.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, TensorFlow, PyTorch and others in AI Development Platforms. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.