Informatica PowerCenter Review

As ETL tools in general, it does not include a good data reporting feature.

What is most valuable?

• The possibility to create a data profiling mapping automatically from any imported source.
  • The client installation includes a macro that can be imported into Excel. This will contains standard documents for technical design and documentation in general. The technical design developed in Excel can be directly imported into Powercenter using Powercenter Repository Manager and the corresponding mapping is automatically created. This can save a lot of development time for simple or not very complex mappings. This feature is called Mapping Analyst for Excel.
  • The default error handling, automatically created, is quite good for those architectures that don't have a proper one or a budget for a custom one.

What needs improvement?

As all ETL tools in general, it does not include a good data reporting feature. Another one is the component called "Union" which includes some bugs:
  • Adding new groups, the field-names are lost
  • Adding new fields, the field type should be reset for all fields in the "Union" or the mapping validation will fail.

There is no possibility of handle non matching records in a "joiner" as in DataStage.

4-5 years, different versions.

I used other tools like IBM DataStage. The final decision is made by my clients but what I see is that clients using DB2 prefer to use DataStage over Informatica as both (DB2 and DataStage) are IBM products.

Very straightforward.

In-house
1 Comment
author avatarAbhhishek Sinhal

Strictly based on my experience with Informatica and DataStage, I find Informatica PowerCenter sufficiently advanced in ETL capability terms. As Informatica proclaims to be leader in data integration, the tool inherently is not designed for reporting requirements. However, it still provides one the best metadata schema, to monitor and report the performance of ETL processes.
Informatica was among the 1st to provide database driven metadata access, providing ease of query-ing & reporting on ETL processes.
With SOA driven architecture and Big data integration in new versions, Informatica continue to maintain lead among choice of ETL platforms.
However, pricing and very large volume (billions of records) processing may be major consideration while planning and deciding about usage of Informatica.