Informatica PowerCenter Overview

Informatica PowerCenter is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica Cloud Data Integration: Informatica PowerCenter vs Informatica Cloud Data Integration

What is Informatica PowerCenter?

Enterprise data integration platform to help organizations access, transform, and integrate data from a variety of systems.

Informatica PowerCenter is also known as PowerCenter.

Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide

Download the Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Informatica PowerCenter Customers

University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, LexisNexis, Rabobank

Informatica PowerCenter Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Informatica PowerCenter pricing:
  • "It is for big enterprises. We have leveraged Informatica for big enterprises but not for small and medium enterprises because it is a very costly product as compared to other products. We propose this solution only for enterprise customers. For small to medium enterprises, we would propose the Microsoft solution. Its licensing is currently bundle-wise. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise."
  • "It's much more expensive, almost three times more expensive than most other solutions."
  • "Price-wise, it's more expensive than SSIS, but it's a better tool, so it has more features. Licensing is on a yearly basis."

Informatica PowerCenter Software Reviews

AT
Technology Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, scalable, and mature solution for complex transformations and data integration

What is our primary use case?

We receive the data files from insurance carriers. We load the data, do some processing, and then make the data available to their internal systems. We apply some business transformations and data validations and share the data in the healthcare domain and EDI B2B exchange. Its version varies based on the customer, but when it comes to the cloud, we have the latest version. We have been using Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services (IICS) for two years. We have used IICS for two purposes. One is for data integration, and the other one is for application integration.

• "Complex transformations can be easily achieved by using PowerCenter. The processing layer does transformations and other things. About 80% of my transformations can be achieved by using the middle layer. For the remaining 15% to 20% transformations, I can go in and create stored procedures in the respective databases. Mapplets is the feature through which we can reuse transformations across pipelines. Transformations and caching are the key features that we have been using frequently. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the best solutions or products in the data integration space. We have extensively used PowerCenter for integration purposes. We usually look at the best bridge solution in our architecture so that it can sustain for maybe a couple of years. Usually, we go with the solution that fits best and has proven and time-tested technology."
  • "Its licensing can be improved. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise. A bundle will definitely be costly. In addition, we might use one or two features. That's why the pricing model should be based on the features. The model should be flexible enough based on the features. Their support should also be more responsive to premium customers."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very mature product, but now everyone is moving to the cloud. They need to give more attention and focus more on the IICS rather than PowerCenter. PowerCenter on-premises will cater to one or two industries, and they should give more features in IICS. It can cater to only 70% of the features of Informatica PowerCenter. The data integration is currently not as mature in IICS. It doesn't have Mapplets, and we have faced some constraints. We have already logged a service request for this. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.
Solutions & Achitecture Data Analyst Specialist at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Assists us with integration as we migrate from on-premise to cloud, but it needs a performance analyzer

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing our master data management integration solution. The idea is to have the data cleaned, and have a catalog set up so that we have a library we can consult to see what type of data is being used. At the same time, have a tool to provide a three hundred and sixty-degree view of our customer data. We will also have a unique repository and a data link that we're setting up in Azure. We will be moving all of our storage to the cloud so that we have a single repository, and this data will be accessible by our tools such as Tableau, for integration with our reporting. Currently, we… more »

• "In the end, you have structured, proper data for use in an integrated BI solution."
  • "Integration with Artificial Intelligence would benefit this solution."

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of competition in the space, and the vendors want to get good companies where they can implement their solution. It doesn't mean that every product fits every organization. My advice for anybody researching this type of solution is to meet with all of the vendors, discuss the proof of concept based on what the company has, and see if the solution is really the proper one for them. The vendors need to be honest in evaluating whether the product can really fit the needs, and they should be able to justify it. Overall, we are satisfied with the product so far, as well as the…
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Scientist at IME
Reseller
Informatica PowerCenter mainly performs ETL that is able to extract transform load from a variety of data sources and it has a good GUI interface.

What is our primary use case?

ETL ; Extract Transform Load from data base to data warehouse based on specific business rules.

• "Technical support, and their approach is good. They have a support portal and support tickets. If you open a ticket it has multiple levels of severity from level one to very high or critical."
  • "The licensing cost for Informatica is very high. Other all-in-one solutions have much lower prices than Informatica."

What other advice do I have?

Our company has many locations, in the Middle East and Africa, but we're mostly based in Cairo, and have about 100 engineers using the solution. In terms of advice, I would give to others considering using the solution, I'd say this: they should start with a datasheet of every product on Informatica. Licensing is expensive, so you should study the needs of the customer or your business and make a compliance matrix between the products and what the company needs. You'll run into big problems if your customer's needs aren't met in the Informatica products you choose. I would rate the solution at…
Head of Business Integration and Architecture at Jakala
Safely manages huge data quantities with reliability; enables an excellent data governance strategy

What is our primary use case?

This solution is really the backbone of what we do. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the most used platforms for data governance in the banking and insurance industry. It's quite expensive so it's not used much outside the industry, but it's very reliable and strong in everything connected to data management and data governance strategy. For our industry, that is crucial. We are customers of Informatica and I'm the head of big data and solution architecture.

• "Can manage a huge quantity of data and provide reliability."
  • "Requires an established data center because there is no option for software as a service."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for this product is to be aware of what's involved and be sure about deploying and using it because it's a very technical tool, something you cannot buy and install in some weird brutal machine. It requires planning and has to be managed, not only in terms of using it, but also economically speaking, because of the cost. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
DL
Data Architecture/Management at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reduces your administrative overhead, and the DAC is helpful

What is our primary use case?

This product is primarily used with an Oracle product called OBI EE, Oracle Business Intelligence. It is used for integration and data visualization.

• "The most valuable features are the metadata repository and the data warehouse application console."
  • "The only problem with this product is the level of complexity with the number of levels of transformation that you have to go through."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle put Informatica into their product line. They use Informatica fo do the integrations. The one benefit is that you reduce your administrative overhead by implementing this tool, and you get more functionality out of it versus most other tools. With a lot of other tools, you have to do a lot of hacking in order to get things to work properly for you, whereas with Informatica, you have a lot of flexibility. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A helpful solution for data integration with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses of the solution are for data integration and to build a warehouse model.

• "The partitioning and optimization to help enhance our development is a very valuable aspect of Informatica PowerCenter."
  • "The multiple interfaces in Informatica PowerCenter are not great for the user experience. Because of this, I think it can cause confusion for any beginner developer."

What other advice do I have?

I'm working with a lot of Informatica products. I use Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ as well as Informatica Axon. In terms of Informatica Powercenter, we're not using the cloud. We have it running on our own servers. Overall, I find that it's a very helpful product and a powerful tool compared to other products. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
SK
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A high-performance enterprise data integration solution with a useful automated scheduling feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to extract the data from legacy products and load it into new applications. We're using it for this purpose only. Apart from that, we use the Data Quality tool for data quality issues. We use this solution to extract and load.

• "I like the automated scheduling feature."
  • "Support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica PowerCenter an eight.
MS
Director of Innovation & Development Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good user interface and the most user-friendly of all data integration tools

• "Technical support is great. It's one of the reasons we really like them. When you compare support from IBM and support from Informatica, Informatica is much better."
  • "Now they are migrating to a new version, and they have something that is called Informatica Developer. Previously, they just had PowerCenter. Now, when they move everything to Informatica Developer it's not as good or stable like it was when it was PowerCenter, though it has some nice features. This Developer tool could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We have some projects on call. I work for a professional services company, so we have different clients that have different types of infrastructure. For us in our region, most of the clients have an on-premise infrastructure. Usually, we have on-premise deployments. I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate this solution nine out of ten. It's almost perfect.
See 14 more Informatica PowerCenter Reviews