Informatica PowerCenter Review

Good user interface and the most user-friendly of all data integration tools

What is most valuable?

The solution has the best user interface and it's the most user-friendly of all data integration tools.

What needs improvement?

Now they are migrating to a new version, and they have something that is called Informatica Developer. Previously, they just had PowerCenter. Now, when they move everything to Informatica Developer it's not as good or stable like it was when it was PowerCenter, though it has some nice features.

I would like the solution to offer better metadata management.

I've been using the solution for more than 10 years.

The solution is really stable.

For scalability, all you have to do is buy licenses for more cores, so it's about licensing. If you want to add more CPU cores you have to pay more licensing. All of the providers of ETL tools have different licensing models, and it's something that is typical. So, if you have to process more data then you have to pay for more licenses. That's natural.

We have about 50 users and they're developers and consultants.

Technical support is great. It's one of the reasons we really like them. When you compare support from IBM and support from Informatica. Informatica is much better.

Initial setup is very easy. It's straightforward. They have really good manuals. They have a great installation manual. They have user manuals as well, so you just have to follow instructions. Everything is fine.

Usually, we have system administrators do the implementation.

Price-wise, it's more expensive than SSIS, but it's a better tool, so it has more features. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

We looked at IBM DataStage, Microsoft SSIS, and Oracle Data Integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We have some projects on call. I work for a professional services company, so we have different clients that have different types of infrastructure. For us in our region, most of the clients have an on-premise infrastructure. Usually, we have on-premise deployments.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten. It's almost perfect.