Informatica PowerCenter Review

A helpful solution for data integration with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses of the solution are for data integration and to build a warehouse model.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very helpful product for data integration.

The partitioning and optimization to help enhance our development is a very valuable aspect of Informatica PowerCenter. There are multiple transformations for service consumers to publish and use web services as well.

What needs improvement?

The multiple interfaces in Informatica PowerCenter are not great for the user experience. Because of this, I think it can cause confusion for any beginner developer.

When we are dealing with multiple transformations and in mapping, we cannot see the flow of our transformation until we run reports. It is not like Informatica Developer or IDQ, where we can see every step of what we're doing and the flow of the mapping. With those solutions, we can see data and transformation and how it's affected by our expressions or anything we do. In Informatica PowerCenter, we cannot see any data in the transformation until the end and it is very confusing for some people. They need to enhance their viewer so we can see data within the transformation and show the affected data.

If we could do monitoring exceptions in PowerCenter, that would be good for an upcoming release. Also, if the solution was able to offer shortcuts similar to Windows, that would be helpful.

I've been using the solution for four months.

I haven't had a problem with Informatica PowerCenter's stability until recently. Sometimes it's very slow. I don't know why, but recently, the development has been very slow. I'm not sure if this is related to stability, however.

The solution is good for scalability because we can connect an Informatica server and deal with it in Informatica PowerCenter. Also, if our organization needs the scale increased, Informatica can satisfy this need, because it can deal with multiple sources and different types of sources and a huge amount of data. The features in partitioning and data optimization that Informatica uses makes it very powerful and it's scalable for all projects from small to large. In my department, we have about 20 people working on Informatica products.

Technical support has been very helpful. Whenever we have a problem, they are able to solve it.

I've never installed the Informatica platform, but I don't think it is complex. If the prerequisites are done, I think it would be very easy to do. I install other Informatica products like Axon and I think there are similar steps but different prerequisites.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working with a lot of Informatica products. I use Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ as well as Informatica Axon.

In terms of Informatica Powercenter, we're not using the cloud. We have it running on our own servers.

Overall, I find that it's a very helpful product and a powerful tool compared to other products.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.