Iris Session Analyzer Review

Provides the information that we need to make decisions and comes with an easy-to-use and intuitive GUI

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this solution to isolate network issues and audio issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us the information that we need to make decisions. I troubleshoot audio problems every day, and it helps in figuring out what to look at. I can tell almost immediately if it's an RF issue or a network issue. I couldn't do this without Iris Session Analyzer.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most useful is the decode of packets. It gives us a variety of information that helps us in figuring out what to look at. The networks are getting really complex, and without the information that we get from Iris Session Analyzer, we couldn't do our job.

Its graphical user interface is also very easy to use and intuitive.

What needs improvement?

They can increase flexibility in the search engine. Basically, I go with the information I have at the time. If I could just type in the parameter that I want to search for and its value, it might be easier than having to do the groundwork upfront before I can get my traces.

We have been using Iris Session Analyzer for almost two years.

Stability could be a little better. It seems like there's a lot of maintenance on it.

When they're doing maintenance and a part of the network, servers, or NETSCOUT is not going to be available, I get an email. It seems like there's a lot of maintenance because I see a lot of emails. It just seems like it's under a significant amount of dynamic change.

There could be a lot of different reasons for maintenance. It could be because of us moving things around or because of growth. It could also be regional. It's not like none of the NETSCOUT areas work, just the area they are working on in the region isn't available. I won't say it is a point of trouble for us.

There's no issue with scalability, at least none that I'm aware of. I would say, at minimum, a thousand users are currently using it. They are primarily in service delivery, making sure the network is up and running.

I haven't contacted their technical support. It is a fairly intuitive tool. I'm sure our Operational System Support team has contacted them.

We used a tool called Empirix or Hammer. I don't think their solution for LTE was very good. They probably weren't in a position to keep up with us, and that's why the company made a decision to go with NETSCOUT.

I liked the layout of how the information was displayed in Empirix. However, there's so much more information in NETSCOUT, particularly in the QCI voice quality.

It was straightforward. I found it intuitive. I never received any real training on it, and yet I didn't have too much difficulty in getting what I wanted out of it.

We have an Operational System Support team that handles the deployment.

I don't know what the cost to buy the solution was, but I doubt if it's a significant part of the budget as far as the maintenance and support are concerned.

What other advice do I have?

I have met some of the NETSCOUT folks, and they were very courteous and helpful. We have a good relationship with NETSCOUT, and it's reflected in the communication and the service that we see from them.

I would recommend Iris Session Analyzer. I couldn't do my job without it. Each company would have to make their own decision because I have no clue about the cost. If not this tool, then go for some other tool that does the same thing.

You just need to be persistent. You can't know everything. When I find something that seems weird, I start digging into it.

I would give Iris Session Analyzer a nine out of ten. I'm sure there are areas that could be improved, but specifically, I'm unaware of anything major that needs to be done.

Private Cloud