Juniper Ethernet Switches Review
I found it to be difficult to make the transition from Cisco to Juniper as far as the CLI goes.

Overall, the equipment is pretty good and more affordable than some other solutions. I found it to be difficult to make the transition from CISCO to Juniper as far as the CLI goes, maybe thats just me. I also had more than one instance where a switch would just stop working and I would have to reload the firmware on it and reconfigure it to get it back up and running. This caused me to purchase backup devices to minimize downtime and really cut into the cost savings over CISCO.

1 Comment

it_user88422Real User

There's a learning curve for sure but it's definitely a better CLI and it appears Cisco agrees going by the changes in IOS-XR. Once you get your heard round using a tiered structure it just makes more sense. Config tools that JunOS offers like copy, replace and move are really handy if you learn how to use them. These can save you a lot of time. What else...

Commit check / confirm / comment
rollback
traceroute monitor
monitor interface
stacking of pipe "|" commands for example: show interface | match xe | match error
Show configuration | display set

I strongly advise you start looking at and backing up configs using the later format. Sometimes the standard hierarchical display can be easier to read and spot mistakes but for copy and pasting config it's much easier to use the "set" display format. Avoiding using "load merge terminal" will save you headaches IMHO.

Once you learn the power of all the show and config command options start looking at JunOS Scripts - then you'll be blown away.

Also if you have access Juniper offer a IOS to JunOS conversion tool... https://i2j.juniper.net/release/index.jsp

13 February 14