Juniper Ethernet Switches Review

Junos OS is extremely flexible and easy to pick up

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Juniper for all of our switching/routing infrastructure. Core, aggregate, and access layers are all made up of Juniper components. We also procured and use Junos Space as well as Network Director.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved to Juniper from an outdated Cisco environment, so the immediate change was extremely dramatic (as it should be with any new vendor). In regards to Junos Space Network Director, we are able to have more visibility into the whole infrastructure than we were able to previously.

What is most valuable?

I have found Junos OS to be the most valuable feature. It is extremely flexible and easy to pick up. The layout (similar to .XML) does take some time to get used to, but there are commands you can use to help alleviate these concerns.

What needs improvement?

Updates and management tools:

• The updates are constantly broken, which has been a problem for years. You definitely need to read the release notes to understand the whole situation before upgrading.
  • The management tools are nice, but they are limited in their abilities. The tools suffer from upgrade problems.

When upgrading to a new Junos OS version, we had to revert back once. We found out the chassis was having major problems. This was noted in the community forum. We haven't upgraded to that version yet. Stability for long term releases are pretty good, expect for newer Junos releases, they are very bug ridden.

There are no problems with scalability. The ability to add switches to a virtual-chassis means adding/removing is an easy task.

Support is hit and miss. Currently, we have had issues with support. Juniper called me back about a bad review. It was nice speaking to somebody on the phone. I felt that they were taking my concerns seriously.

We previously used Cisco and Extreme Networks. We switched due to our planned refresh cycle, as well as cost.

We had a vendor do the initial setup and configuration.

We don't track ROI.

You don't need to license every switch. We only chose to cover support on core/key equipment and keep a cold spare available when needed.

We had an open bid process. We evaluated Cisco, Extreme Networks, Brocade, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

It works with third-party SFPs.