Kemp LoadMaster Review

Enabled us to become more reliable and have less downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use Kemp to balance the load of connections to various places. We have IIS, RDP, API, gateway servers, and objects that get over 5000 connections that are balanced with Kemp.

We have had very good success at getting this working properly and doing exactly what we need. We need to balance resources and utilize the Kemp Loadmaster to organize the servers and resources to keep them operating at an optimal level. RDP and Gateway servers are 99.99% uptime so having Kemp in the middle makes that an easy transition if there is an outage or server error.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to manually balance the load and we overallocated resources to account for this situation. Since we started using Kemp, we have become more reliable and have less downtime. We also have the added resources back now that we can allocate the precise need. There is another added bonus, we can have rolling updates because we can balance the load and update inactive servers or resources.

We have had our uptime guarantee enhanced because of the Kemp tools and resources. The load that our servers can handle has been minimized and resources have been restored.

What is most valuable?

Persistence is very valuable. This holds the connection information of the source and that connection is important to RDP and our APO calls. The connection has to be persisted to the original source to operate properly. We also use the subsections for sub-services to create services inside our services for our API resources, this is most awesome. We would not be able to do this without Kemp and offer this type of sub-service to route based on an API instance. It routes the traffic properly based on the sub-service type.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation and control of overactive and inactive resources. If I could schedule these around our updates then it would be all automated. I would like to set up an automated script to coincide with the scripts I use to update resources and servers. If I update a server on Wednesday then I would use Kemp to automate the server being taken out of service before and then put back into service after. That could streamline the whole update process and it should do some simple checks and tests to make sure the server or resource is reliable and able to be reached.

We have been using Kemp for about five years now.

I have only had one issue in five years, so I would say the stability is impeccable.

It scales for everything we have grown to need and more so far!

Kemp has the best customer service of all the vendors we use.

We used DNS Round-robin and some manual intervention but it was unreliable and very time-consuming.

I had support walk me through the setup. They happily helped me before I was even a client. They set up the first service with me and I had it in production that same day!

I implemented this myself. It is turn key ready with various templates that are plug and play.

We have saved on man-hours from the manual intervention we used to do as well as the resources we saved from right-sizing our resources that we could then use in other areas.

The return is triple what we invest.

I would advise them to take advantage of the trials and support. Use the support to set it up exactly the way you want and see how much actually need to pay for.

I looked at Barracuda but the support was terrible and so I went with Kemp and am so glad I did. The support has been stellar.

What other advice do I have?

Go with Kemp, you will thank me later.

7.2.50.0
More Kemp LoadMaster reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Kemp LoadMaster. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.