Kentico Review

Flexible, offers helpful web templates, and has good connectivity with third-party applications

What is our primary use case?

Kentico is a content manager. We use it for UI and for developing websites. We do the coding ourselves.

What is most valuable?

Several features are valuable for us.

• They have good templates for web pages.
  • The connectivity with third-party applications through APIs is good.
  • I would say they have a modern, flexible, agile content management system.
  • It's multi-tenant, which is a good feature as well.

What needs improvement?

In terms of area for improvement:

• They don't have a lot of libraries, which is something that they can improve on.
  • They can improve on building calculators, as they do not have them built-in.
  • They don't have decision support tools.
  • The user manuals are not often updated.
  • Their multi-tenancy can be improved because it's not the best as of now.
  • Technical support has room for improvement.

I have been using Kentico since 2005, for almost 15 years.

Kentico is a very stable and mature system. It's one of the best on the market.

It's scalable and we can do so very quickly. It's multi-tenant.

We offer this to customers, so today we have approximately 330,000 members that use it.

They do not have a lot of options for technical support. I think that we are using a platinum support package, although I'm not directly involved so I am not sure. From what I have heard from the team, they can improve on their support.

The initial setup was complex.

We had a gradual rollout and it probably took more than a year, although this included migrations. We were migrating from a previous CMS, which took time, but now we are more familiar.

The implementation is no longer as bad, especially now that they are cloud-ready. In the past, there was no cloud and it was different to provision the hardware, the software, and to configure everything. Now it is much easier. We are provisioning new clients on Kentico and it's much more straightforward.

The licensing fees are probably about $100,000 USD per year. There are additional costs for operating it, as well as for support.

What other advice do I have?

Kentico is one of the top solutions on the magic quadrant.

Currently, all of the development that we do, we hard-code ourselves. We don't use local development frameworks for other systems. We are looking to expand our use of Kentico by adding no-code or low-code products for rapid development.

My advice for anybody who is implementing Kentico is that if they are transitioning into it then be sure to use a phased approach. Don't try to migrate everything right away. I suggest doing it over time and become familiar with the system. If it is only one site then it will not be too difficult, but normally, there are multiple sites.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure

Find out what your peers are saying about Kentico, Drupal, Sitecore and others in Web Content Management. Updated: June 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.