Klocwork Review

Easy installation for regular code scanning of C, C++ and MISRA rules, but updates are lengthy and involved

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version.

We use the solution for regular code scanning for C and C++, as well as for MISRA rules

What needs improvement?

When an upgrade is carried out it must be done on both the server and client side, which can make it a bit hectic for all projects to be configured on the private server. Every update that we receive requires of us a lengthy and involved process.

The project reporting status dashboard should also be addressed. As I am on the compliance team, I must open every project to resolve all issues.  The solution does not provide consolidated views. Meanwhile, Kuiwan has a very good feature on its dashboard.

Moreover, Klocwork makes a limited number of languages available to the user, only four. In addition, a good consolidated dashboard, in respect of compliance, would be nice to see.

I have been working with Klocwork for seven or eight years.

Technical support is quite good. We have a vendor partner in India and they do a good job of supporting us.

Klocwork was easy to install. But, as we are using an on-premises server, our client's configuration needs are different. Since this is on the user's machine the installation part is easy. Yet, the receipt of frequent updates means that time which could be spent on the project side is consumed by that of development.

When it comes to licensing, the solution has two packages, one for a fixed and the other for a floating server. The former is more cost effective than the latter.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently using SonarQube for other languages, those of Python and Android.

At present, we make use of both the Klocwork and SonarQube tools. However, as we wish to have a combined tool, we are planning to switch to Kuiwan.

I rate Klocwork as a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
More Klocwork reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, SonarSource, Veracode and others in Application Security. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.