Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Review

Efficient storage and processing solution with simple deployment

What is our primary use case?

We assess requirements and implement this solution for our clients who wish to update and upgrade their equipment, servers and storage. We build a solution and provide the equipment and deploy for our customers. With Lenovo, we use the EMC for storage and HPE for processing. I work with the HP series and we're looking to expand the Lenovo market. I'm working in an IT company and I'm the technical manager.

What is most valuable?

In this solution, I like the option of clustering two storages together and that there can be HA availability. You can get two DM Series which is a 5000 Series, and you can cluster them and make a chain solution. This is a very important feature. If you want to build this solution with brands such as EMC, you should be paying a lot of money because it requires buying equipment like a VPLEX which is so expensive. With the other device you can launch as soon as it appears. But with this DM Series, you only need two of these. It's a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, this is a very expensive solution. At the end of the day it's the client that decides whether to implement.

I'd like to see a clustering mode included in the solution as an additional feature.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a very stable solution.

We try to solve any problems ourselves using the company site because we have no local technical support in our location. If there are any technical issues, it requires us to send servers overseas and it can take several months to solve a problem.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment takes 30 or 45 minutes to install the hardware and maybe an hour to initialize or setup the software. A maximum two or three hours in total.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know that the storage is entry level mode. In comparison with other similar solutions, I think this one is the most expensive. Clients don't understand why they should pay so much money for the DM Series. It's possible to get other solutions with similar configurations like SSV, SaaS, HPE, MS-DOS. These are cheaper solutions.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud