Mandrill Review

It's very straightforward to set up, but you have to be technical to do it.

What is most valuable?

The HTML templating functionality was the most important feature/reason for us to move to their service. A must in today’s customer contact environment, but the out of the box analytics have also been very valuable. In a customer service environment, it is imperative to know that the customer is receiving the message, and in a timely manner.

How has it helped my organization?

Our legacy (home grown) email notification system was capable of sending text only messages. With HTML messaging, it opens up a whole world of marketing possibilities that improves customer retention, and even drive new sales.

What needs improvement?

I have not been ‘hands on’ with the product for some time, but I believe it would be helpful to have easier ways to export data and reports that don’t rely on API calls.

I believe it has been around for three years now.

No issues encountered.

It was technical support I was in need of when I contacted them. Due to the nature of the product I suspect customer service will always be technical in nature. It was on the slow side. They were apologetic, and it is part of growing pains. I’m sure it will improve.

Our previous solution was home grown and 10 years old. It was only capable of sending out plain text emails, and there were not stats or reporting available.

It's very straightforward, but you have to be technical. Any organization without IT, or some technical resource, would struggle.

We implemented it in-house.

Not measured in money. The superior customer service we can now offer our clients is a differentiator when it comes to client retention and winning new business. Plus, due to the pricing of this service, the initial investment is almost zero!

Initial setup cost was in the form of a developer resource, working probably five days. The cost of using the service to send emails is negligible. The first 12,000 are free and then it's $0.20 per thousand. So, if we spend 20 cents on any given day that is about as expensive as it gets.

No we didn't, as the cost and functionality were exactly what I needed.

What other advice do I have?

You will need IT development resources to properly integrate into your applications.