McAfee Web Gateway Review

Secure, stable, and well integrated

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling web content that the users are accessing. It's very good in case situations where you have the use of a VPN connection.

You can control your employees when they are in the office and out of the office, without using a VPN in the same fashion.

The on-premise solution will control them when they are on the corporate network, and when they're off the corporate network, the cloud's gateway will control them. They have the same policies.

What is most valuable?

It's a great product with solid features.

It's a security appliance and it is quite secure.

They are quite well integrated.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved. The documentation could be more detailed with more examples of usage.

We have been selling McAfee Web Gateway for four years.

Deployment can be on-premises or on the cloud.

It is a very stable solution.

I don't have any issues with the scalability. You have to do the sizing before they implement it afterward.

You have other solutions that have to increase the volume of usage.

We have several large clients that are using it.

We are satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If the client has a lot of demands and depending on their structure or the client's requests, it can be complex to configure.  In general, it is straightforward and easy to configure.

Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly.

We don't have any customers that are using subscriptions yet.

I wouldn't say that it is an expensive solution but it's not cheap. We pay for what it's worth.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate McAfee Web Gateway a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More McAfee Web Gateway reviews from users
...who compared it with Blue Coat ProxySG [EOL]
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.