McAfee Web Gateway Review

Powerful user activity monitoring that includes SSL decryption

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect us against online threats, as well as for user activity monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL decryption.

What needs improvement?

The cloud capability needs to be improved in terms of scalability. More generally, both scalability and performance on the cloud need to be improved.

The cloud needs improvement with respect to DLP.

We would like to have integration with Shadow IT analytics.

I have been working with the McAfee Web Gateway for five years.

This is a stable solution. It is constantly running across the entire enterprise.

Scalability on the cloud is something that needs improvement.

Our company has about 50,000 employees.

McAfee's technical support is fairly good.

Prior to McAfee, we were using Blue Coat. Two of the important things that Blue Coat was lacking are the SSL description capability and the in-line antivirus. I'm not sure if they have the capability now, but that is the reason that we switched to McAfee.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward and easy to perform.

Our in-house team implemented this solution. The architectural design and implementation were completed with the support and assistance of the McAfee team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use a hybrid model, rather than just something for a specific use case. Otherwise, you won't have a full 360-degree view. Integration with Active Directory is critical, as is the log integration with your SIEM solution. These are key factors that you need to consider.

If I were rating the on-premises and cloud-based features separately, I would give it a nine out of ten on-premises and a seven out of ten for the cloud.

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud