Micro Focus Diagnostics Review
Very good for transaction level monitoring, but expensive and HP needs better support and training

What is most valuable?

HP Diagnostics is a very good monitoring tool especially for transaction level monitoring -- it shows hot spots which can be drilled down to DB level, table, query, SP's, record and field level and also at Object level, Classes level,method or Augment levels instead of pinpointing bottlenecks at layer level it goes deep inside for information. It has very good tracing capabilities despite being an agent based tool compared to other agent less monitoring tools. Overall a very good tool for monitoring application diagnostics for quick and easy resolution with help of thread information.

Drills down from slow, end-user transactions to the

bottle necked component, method, or SQL statement,

helping to solve memory, exception, and other

common problems

Key features and benefits

• Automatically detects all components touched by a business process and traces them with no user intervention

• Provides complete application visibility across the application lifecycle, enabling higher application quality when applications go live

• Reduces mean time to resolution (MTTR) in your J2EE, .NET, ERP, or CRM (SAP, Oracle®, PeopleSoft) environment

• Integrates fully with HP Business Availability Center software, HP LoadRunner, and HP Performance

Center.

How has it helped my organization?

able to identify exact root cause

What needs improvement?

Price is little expensive for number of license points and HP Diagnostics trainers are not available in market and no proper support from HP for any diagnotics level queries or issues.

2 years

What other advice do I have?

Advantages:

• Find and solve more problems earlier in the life cycle

• Achieve higher quality by finding the most common application problems before applications go live

• Collect concrete data to support decisions to go live with an application

• Manage and monitor applications after they have gone live with role-based visibility to solve problems quickly

3 visitors found this review helpful

8 Comments

it_user4665Vendor

Another Pro is the automatic detection of collection memory leaks. You get the stack trace showing exactly where elements are added to the collection.

Profiler mode is now available for free at this link:
www.hp.com/go/diagnostics

28 February 13
Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes i agree with Java Thread State Analyzer feature, no need to compare thread stack traces like we used to do earlier now we can easily visualize Java thread states
quickly and easily identify culprits like blocked,Deadlocked ,Running,I/O,Sleep, waiting,starving,unknown threads etc.Also we can pinpoint where the problem is with browser-based applications in detail by breaking further.
Part 1: Java Thread State Analyzer
Part 2: .pdf export
Part 3: Dashboard Creator
Part 4: Thresholds and Alerts

01 March 13
it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

We have used Diagnostics for a while now. It is very reliable and works perfectly well in monitoring our applications. However, as Ravi said above, getting support for this program is not easy. When we encounter bugs or problems with this tool, we work our way out until the program gets up running. This is so unfortunate due to support that is not easily accessible if not totally inaccessible yet we spent quite a fortune on its purchase.

26 May 13
Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Thanx Tina for update, I hope HP will make its support faster at least for priority 1 issues.

13 April 14
it_user121530Real UserTOP 20

Nice information. Thanks for sharing.

27 May 14