Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Review

We use it to evaluate code from a security perspective as opposed to a developer’s perspective.

Valuable Features

The static code analyzer provides views from a security perspective and it is easy to use compared to others.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it to evaluate security from the code and provide results from a security perspective as opposed to a developer’s perspective.

Room for Improvement

Reports can be better visually with graphics such as charts included. Charts (pie, bar, some graph) could show the percentage of the vulnerability categories identified, as opposed to listing them all in a table. At a higher level, it would be nice to aggregate the analysis.

Use of Solution

I have used it for 3.5 years.

I did not encounter any deployment issues. It was fairly simple and easy to install/deploy.

Technical support is 6/10. I find the Internet to be more helpful at times than their own tech support in finding answers.

Initial setup was easy and intuitive: just specify the license path and install the product.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

ROI

Quality vs quantity: You pay more for a higher-quality product and meets your needs, compared to others that might be cheaper, but you have to crawl to get what you are looking for.

Other Solutions Considered

While I did evaluate others, it depends on the budget.

Other Advice

It is a good product to choose for SCA and cloud deployment. If you choose SSC, don’t always look at the price, as the other products might not conduct the same analysis as HP Fortify does. Not all products are created equal.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a vendor partner.
1 Comment
Elina PetrovnaReal UserTOP 20

The weakest component of Fortify is SSC. Very difficult to customize, huge infrastructure to implement and maintain and costly

04 May 18