Micro Focus UFT One Review

Improved overall efficiency and is stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

The use cases for Micro Focus UFT One vary from one department to another. We've got so many applications within Dominion Energy, but as of now, most groups are scripting the test cases themselves, even though they're not programmers and they don't have a true understanding of Visual Basic, which is a language used to script QTP. So the groups out there are doing it independently. I think they're doing mostly a record and playback, data-driven approach, which means they parametrize the data. But they're not specifically programmers, they can't make those scripts very sophisticated. And that's what I'm seeing. So it was my suggestion that we develop a framework for them in Selenium.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think that Micro Focus UFT One has really improved it much. Until we move over to a framework where they don't have to spend so much time in creating data-driven scripts that become obsolete once a new version of the application becomes available. It may be doing some things for them, but I think it's probably improved their overall efficiency by maybe 20%. But once they have the framework, I think they will be able to operate this framework 24/seven in unattended mode. And that's when you see 100%, 110% improvement in efficiency. So we're not there yet.

What is most valuable?

We're not using the web services testing piece. They should, but I think they're using other open source tools such as Postmaster. But they're using QTP strictly for scripting automation test cases.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, they need to reduce the cost because it is pretty high. It's approximately $3,000 per user and if we're going to spread this throughout the organization, we'll need to spend a whole lot of money. The company can afford it, but we're going to try to promote Selenium as the open source automation tool.

All of these automation tools are a tad finicky. They tend to freeze on us once in a while and we get an 85% pass ratio every time we run them, but 15% of the time these tools will fail. And it's not the tool, it's that the browser that they're opening may freeze up when it's time to do something on an application. I haven't looked at Selenium yet. I'm going to get some exposure to it later in the year or next year. But that's the tool that I'm going to focus on and replace QTP with. Because Selenium is free of charge and it's the standard in large corporations these days.

As for what should be included in the next release, I don't know much about that because I haven't used QTP in a while. I don't know how much better Selenium is than QTP except for the fact that it's open source. But as far as the features are concerned, I was okay with using QTP back in 2007 when I used it.

Since I'm not an automation tester, I last used Micro Focus UFT One in 2007. But now I'm promoting it. I'm also promoting Selenium as an open source solution for future automation testing because the company can set up that framework and everybody can use it. And I'm having a meeting with the users next week on that. So we're going to be promoting Selenium over UFT.

But I have used UFT within the last 12 months.

I think it's a stable product because it's been around for well over 14, 15 years now. And I think it's stabilized QTP and UFT.

I think Micro Focus UFT One scales very well, but because it's not widely used... You can use one license per seat or per user who's automating it. So it doesn't need to scale, it works well enough with one single license per user. It's not meant for more than two users using the same license anyway.

Mostly developers use this product. They have a development background in Visual Basic and the use of the tool. With my current client, it's the business analysts that are doing the automation using this tool and it's not being used effectively. You have to have some form of development background, especially in Visual Basic.

I've never used it for QTP or UFT, but I know some people who are supporting this product in the client site. They're okay with it. They get a response within 24 hours.

I'd give support a nine out of 10.

I've always been familiar with QTP and UFT. The other product that's taken over the marketplace is Selenium because it is open source, free of charge. It is in 90% of all the organizations, whereas QTP I believe has lost the market share.

The initial setup for UFT is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone regarding this solution is that if they have the money to purchase it, they could, but Selenium would be the first choice because it's more widely used.

UFT quite expensive. It's about $3,000 per seat, whereas Selenium is free of charge. So if you had 20 users who need to use it, you'd have to spend close to $60,000 on QTP plus annual maintenance costs. Whereas with Selenium, it's free of charge and you get all the support you need on the internet.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Micro Focus UFT One a 10 because it is a reliable product, it works, it's as good or better than similar solutions especially because you get technical support from real people. Additionally, upgrades are always provided on a consistent basis. Whereas with Selenium, because it's open source, you're relying on the community to give you that technical support if you have issues and if you can't resolve them, there is really nobody to give you a patch or anything. So I think that with QTP having Micro Focus behind it, you've got some protection.

The price is only $3,000. I don't know how many QA analysts you would have in any given company. Probably no more than five or 10. So if it's a large corporation, it can easily afford $15,000 to $25,000. I don't see that being an issue.

More Micro Focus UFT One reviews from users
...who compared it with Selenium HQ
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus UFT One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.