Microsoft 365 Defender Review

Stable and easy to use but could scan attachments faster

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as security for our endpoints. It covers everything.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very useful for scanning email traffic.

Practically every company that is working in Microsoft Cloud can use it with a Microsoft 365 subscription.

The product is very easy to use.

So far, I have found the solution to be very stable. I haven't had any issues with it.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the solution could scan faster when it comes to scanning attachments to emails.

I've been using the solution for a bit more than one year.

The product is quite stable. It's been problem-free. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I do not believe the solution is scalable. It's fixed on my PC and I cannot upgrade it. It may be changed from time to time according to the company, however, beyond that, I have no control over expansion.

We have 250 people in our office using the solution.

We have an internal IT department. If I were to have issues, which I haven't, I would go to them. I've never contacted Microsoft's technical support directly. I have no experience dealing with them. I couldn't say if they are helpful or responsive.

I didn't handle the initial setup. That was handled by a technician in my company. It was placed on my PC for me. I don't have any insights in terms of the implementation process.

It may only take one person to install it. They would have to have a bit of knowledge on the product.

We are using the higher-level package which we have to pay a licensing fee for. There are different tiers. Ours includes extended detection with Advanced Threat Protection. It's the most powerful endpoint protection Microsoft offers.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We sell the product and we use it as well. We are resellers.

We are using advanced endpoint detection in our security for email and a lot of other things, however, it is combined with Cisco solutions, for example, Cisco Umbrella. We have a file solution from IBM, and internally we are using it, however, I am not directly using all of these things. I'm using the administrative part for partnership purposes. I'm not a technical person. I am using them as a customer as part of Microsoft OS.

There is a lot of other tools behind the scenes as well, however, they are working on a network level, on a data center level, to secure the company.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and others in Extended Detection and Response (XDR). Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.