Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Review

A free solution that performs well

What is most valuable?

I haven't experienced any problems.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the information about how they are dealing with people who could attack minors. This is my main concern.

Another concern is ransomware, whether people can penetrate and encrypt my data or steal my credit card/banking information.

I have been using it since 2019.

It performs well. The stability is seamless.

Scalability is not a problem because we don't have servers. We don't do anything more with the computers than use them for studies, reading papers and books, watching movies, and communicating with our family. So, we don't need to scale up.

If they could send me more information, then I could evaluate, read more, and give them opinions. For example, if someone tells me about a problem, then I can give solutions and also write to Microsoft regarding this information.

From the beginning of the pandemic, we received another kind of software when we had to be at home, but it caused us problems with the performance. So, I decided to quit the other software. Then, I installed Windows Defender on all my computers, including my grandchildren's computers.

I was using Sophos previously, but it was causing problems with the performance. For example, when my grandchildren were trying to assume a session, they opened Excel or Word with a 4 GB computer using Windows 10 and then they always lost the connection or the continuities because the computer slowed down. However, when we decided to quit using Sophos and install all the features of Windows Defender, then those problems were resolved.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward.

My deployment process: I put some checks in the questions that they have. It was very easy. I read about it in the tutorial. I installed it on my entire family's computers (six computers) in less than half an hour.

It is free.

What other advice do I have?

We are totally satisfied with performance and price. However, there is still the question, "Is it safe and secure enough for home, primary-school-age children, and minors?" Despite having a Masters degree in Computer Sciences and Mathematics, I have not been able to say if Microsoft is doing bad or good things.

Many companies may say that they have the best product, but I recommend always watching the news about what a company is doing. Stay informed. Don't be complacent.

The solution is a nine out of 10.

More Microsoft Defender for Endpoint reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee MOVE AntiVirus
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.