Microsoft Defender for Endpoint  Overview

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is the #30 ranked solution of our endpoint security software. It is rated 3.6 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: Microsoft Defender for Endpoint vs CrowdStrike Falcon

What is Microsoft Defender for Endpoint ?

Microsoft Defender ATP includes a configuration score to help you dynamically assess the security state of your enterprise network, identify unprotected systems, and take recommended actions to improve the overall security of your organization.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is also known as Microsoft Defender ATP, Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Customers

Petrofrac, Metro CSG, Christus Health

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint pricing:
  • "If you don't purchase the advanced threat protection then there is no additional charge."
  • "We sell this product as part of Office 365 and it is not expensive."
  • "When compared with other vendors, the pricing is very high."
  • "Microsoft Defender ATP is expensive."

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Reviews

Syed Asif
Cloud Consultant at Brio Technologies Private Limited
Sep 21, 2020
Good with vulnerability assessment and integrates well with Office 365 and Azure

What is our primary use case?

This is an endpoint security product. It helps detect and prevent attacks and is very good when it comes to vulnerability assessment. It automatically detects attacks. It provides support for all the end devices, whether it is a Mac OS, Windows, mobiles, Android and iOS, it has support for all. I mostly deal with smaller and medium sized companies, I don't deal much with enterprises. I'm a customer of Microsoft and I work as a solution architect.

• "Provides good vulnerability assessment."
  • "The GUI is very complex and could be more user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you're already using Microsoft products, then I think it makes sense to go with Microsoft Defender over any other product. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Anthony Alvarico
Deliver Practice Director at DynTek
MSP
Sep 13, 2020
Easy to manage, updated frequently, and comes included with Windows

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and we use this product for endpoint protection across the company, as well as for our clients.

• "The patch management is very easy, as it can be done automatically or added to a schedule."
  • "I would like to see better integration with their other security products to give better visibility from a higher level."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Windows Defender is to purchase the ATP, which is in addition to the version that comes with Windows 10. This will allow you to really get the benefits and manage your organization's endpoints as a whole. This requires a presence in the Microsoft environment, such as a subscription to Office 365 or Azure. I think that people should explore Windows Defender before looking at third-party products. While they are not a pioneer in anti-malware and anti-virus software, they are attacking it and they have a good budget. The advanced threat protection has a…
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, CrowdStrike, Palo Alto Networks and others in Endpoint Protection (EPP) for Business. Updated: November 2020.
448,896 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1007844
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Oct 29, 2020
Good management over endpoints but the technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and I specialize in practically everything that is security-related. This is a product that we sell as part of Office 365, and rarely as a standalone solution. Usually, if we have a customer with Office 365 and they need this type of solution then we increase the subscription to a point where it is included. From the user's point of view, this is classic anti-virus software. From a management point of view, this product gives better control over endpoint devices because some processes can be stopped remotely. If you have a person that is watching over the system then… more »

• "The scanning is slow when it is working with incoming emails."

What other advice do I have?

I have never touched this product. I'm just selling it, and I don't recommend it to anybody as a standalone solution. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
    reviewer1392441
    Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Oct 21, 2020
    Good protection against phishing attacks and spam, but seamless integration with EDR is needed

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Defender ATP to prevent anti-phishing, malware transportation, and unwanted spam emails.

• "What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam."
    • "If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I would recommend Microsoft Defender ATP to anyone who is interested in using it. I would rate Microsoft Defender ATP a seven out of ten.
    reviewer1068285
    Assistant Manager, IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Oct 9, 2020
    Stable threat protection with good support but it's expensive and has license restrictions

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for threat detection.

• "It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised."
    • "I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price."

What other advice do I have?

Because of my lack of knowledge or experience with the solutions full capacity, I cannot recommend this solution or offer any advice. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
    Download our free Endpoint Protection (EPP) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, CrowdStrike, Palo Alto Networks, and more!