Mojo Networks Review

We can see what the network is being used for or where problems may be

What is our primary use case?

It is the wireless network solution for our school district. We have been using it since March 2017.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used it to stop students from accessing VPN sites. They would connect to other VPN networks. We are able to stop that at the access point before it ever hits the network. As soon as the client tries to connect to the site, they are shut off immediately. It never goes out to our web filter and has to be inspected. We can kill it right there.

Also, as far as performance goes, we have been able to deprioritize traffic on the network. E.g., garbage traffic can be set at a lower priority than student testing and academic sites.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is ease of use. We can simply take an access point and plug it in, then it is automatically configured for us. When you purchase a product through Mojo, they go ahead and tie the access point to your cloud account. Therefore, once it hops onto the network and sees the configuration, it goes ahead and downloads it, then starts functioning. So, it is extremely easy to expand the network.

Another top feature is the visibility into the network. We can see what the network is being used for or where problems may be. We have been able to diagnose other network problems such as a DHCP server failure from within Mojo.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could use some improvement, and Mojo is working on it. They are transitioning from their older Wireless Manager into their new Aware product, which is much nicer. Right now, the features and functions are in two different places which makes some items more difficult to find, but they are in the process of moving them all into one place.

Stability is rock solid.

Scaling is very easy.

The way that our school is set up, we have a presence in many of our partner school districts and use their networks. We saw another wireless solution at some of our satellite labs which was unable to perform, essentially crippling productivity in our classrooms. We knew we were not even going to consider that other product for our network.  Mojo has been far above in performance compared with to the other products that we have looked into.

Technical support has been incredible. I talked with the Senior Vice President of Support on a product problem that we had shortly after we set things up. He called me on a Saturday morning from California, and we worked through an issue. Other than that, if we call, we get a person. We do not have to deal with a whole phone menu tree. You get to talk to an engineer right away.

The big reason we switched was the older product that we had was five or six years old, so it was time to be replaced with newer technology. The reason that we did not go with that company's new equipment was that it did not provide us any visibility or data as far as what was going on in the network. The old product only gave us the top five users for the last 24 hours. That was all the performance that we could see.

The ability to drill down into each user, device, and application that Mojo provides is far better for seeing what the network is being used for and where the bottlenecks may be.

The initial setup was very easy. We followed the "Getting Started" guide and worked with an engineer.

There will be some training that you would need to take, so you are familiar with how Mojo does things. They provide an online training portal for you, so you can get certified to become a Mojo Gold Certified Administrator. They provide all the training for you to very in-depth levels.

We set everything up in-house. We did not have to have a third-party company come in and do it for us.

The pricing was a good value and substantially less than some of the other products that we looked at. In some cases, with some of the bigger names, this product was even close to half the price.

The license is provided per access point, so you buy an access point and you use it.

We looked at Aerohive, Ruckus, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a demo. Set it up, play with it, and you will be impressed at its capabilities.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10, because of its ease of use, the response from the company for new product suggestions or enhancements, and the availability of support when it is needed.