NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Review

The native filer capabilities are baked right there on the system

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is virtualization as well as filer storage, pretty much all the features of the ONTAP suite.

We don't have any cloud footprint for contractual obligations. So, it's all pretty much on-prem, but it's in a co-location.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it to replicate between data centers. It is for our DR site as well. We use it to create redundancy.

We do on-prem S3 for StorageGRID. The on-prem infrastructure is cheap. It works just the same. It's S3, so it works very well as far as integration and things that use S3 in our environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the native filer capabilities because a lot of SAN providers don't do that. When they do it, they do it with an appliance or a secondary. With this, it is just baked in right there on the system that you require. You don't have to have anything extra.

The solution’s Snapshot copies and thin clones in terms of operational recovery are the best thing since sliced bread. Rollback is super easy. It's just simple, and it works. It's very efficient.

The stability is good. I've been with NetApps for a long time, so I've seen them fall and come back. However, with cDOT and all this new stuff, it is great. It just works.

We're not that big, storage footprint-wise. However, it's simple. You just add nodes. So, it works.

We have not really used the technical support.

We had previous experiences with deploying ONTAP at other companies successfully.

ONTAP makes our storage solutions more flexible. Traditionally, that's hard to do. ONTAP gives you those features which you typically have to build yourself.

It's straightforward. But you do have to know what you're doing. Things do what you expect them to do. There is quite a bit of initial setup, but with things like Ansible and all this new stuff that they're doing, it makes it much easier and automated. So, it's simple.

I did the deployment myself with a little help from our vendor's professional services.

We have had less downtime.

Cost is a big factor, because a lot of companies can't afford enterprise grade equipment all the time. They skimp where they can. I would recommend that they improve the cost.

What other advice do I have?

This company that I work for now is just acquiring quite a bit of NetApp equipment. We will be doing SnapMirror. I have done it in the past at another company.

It does exactly what it does, and it does it well. It works, and that's what really matters at the end the day: uptime, functionality, and scalability.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. There is always room for improvement. No one is ever going to be a 10.

Hybrid Cloud
More NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP reviews from users
Take Control with Unified Cloud Storage

Sign up for a 30-day trial to see how Cloud Volumes ONTAP can help you optimize cloud storage costs and performance, while enhancing data enterprise-grade protection, security, and compliance - wherever your data lives.