NetApp ONTAP Review

It retrieves data quickly, but I would like the product to have SSD and deduplication features

What is our primary use case?

I have use this storage appliance, which they have on-premise. It is for taking backup off onsite data. This is a storage and NAS device.

How has it helped my organization?

Its typical use case is storing files and getting data, so it does its use case well.

What is most valuable?

When it accesses regular files, it does so as an NFS workload, which retrieves data quickly.

What needs improvement?

The initial UI integration could be quite a lot better.

I would like to have deduplication and SSD features in the product.

If you have huge data, you will see stability issues. Since we didn't have that data, our stability has been fine.

We previously haven't had a huge workload, so it scaled fine. Though, with our current use case, we will need something faster. E.g., if you have a huge scale, having SSD-based backup is better.

We did not contact technical support, as the solution was working fine.

The integration and configuration are not straightforward. We had to read some documentation and receive support. A good UI may be helpful in resolving this.

We looked at various Dell EMC products at the time and considered using VMAX. We also looked at Nimble Storage. For some reason, we did not look at Pure Storage.

We chose NetApp because had some collaboration or a sales representative who approached us, then convinced us of the use case.

What other advice do I have?

Based on the use case, it can be a good product.

We have just one application where we store data, and we haven't had problems with it.