NetApp ONTAP Review

ONTAP has improved my organization by lowering budget costs

Video

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for ONTAP is for all of the protocols we use like CS, NFS, EFC, ISKC.

How has it helped my organization?

ONTAP has improved my organization by lowering budget costs. Deduplication, compression, compaction, SnapMirror, SnapWall, the transaction happens from one to the other.

It's serving our needs just as expected.

What is most valuable?

The best features within a database like data application, compression, compaction and SnapMirror, SnapWall, and encryption.

NVME over Fabrics in a next-generation feature, which gives even faster access to the data than what we have with our agencies. Then we have the SSDs. So, improving ONTAP is taking off. On day one, when NetApp started, the cluster there were not with all the features that were in the seven mode. Then, gradually, keep adding novice 9.3, 9.4. Most of the features are from 7.3. They also have additional features like encryption, compaction, which are not there as well.

It has super stability, it works perfectly.

Scalability so far is very good until it comes to the twelve node SAN, it only goes to 24 nodes. We have twelve nodes with ONTAP but it gradually has increased since the beginning. It has gone from two nodes to twelve nodes.

Their technical support is super but the engineers are working on the technology and they themselves cannot address most of the issues.

If you do the initial setup manually, it is a bit difficult for someone who doesn't know. NetApp has a three-click implementation, it's so simple.

I wasn't really involved with the initial setup but I used to set up the ONTAP systems using all of the features like 7-mode and cluster mode.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.