OpenShift Review

Developing on a standard product like this supports our customers' need for cloud based container solutions.

What is most valuable?

The ability to persist data, the security model, the web console, the installation - all of those features make using the product easier.

How has it helped my organization?

We develop software for customers that runs on OpenShift, so developing on a standard product like OpenShift supports our customers' need for cloud based container solutions.

What needs improvement?

The security model is hard to understand and use. Debugging errors can be hard as well.

We have been using the solution for two years.

The product seems to be mature enough to use for production application deployments without stability issues.

The product is able to meet most scalability goals.

The technical support is generally good and there are ample materials available on the web to help find answers to issues.

We have not switched from another product. We also support other cloud offerings like Kubernetes.

The installation is better now than early on and can be complicated to set up if you are not familiar with Red Hat Linux and Docker.

For trials and prototypes, the open source version of OpenShift will suffice for most users and is compatible with the licensed version of OpenShift.

We evaluated Cloud Foundry but decided upon a Docker container based platform like OpenShift.

What other advice do I have?

Start small, try the open source OpenShift Origin first, then develop a sample application to get accustomed to the platform.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner with Red Hat and work together on various projects.