OpenShift Review

What is most valuable?

Application deployment using YAML with Docker containers, creating services and providing routes. It is simple to build configurations and deploy your changes and promote them to different environments.

How has it helped my organization?

We are better able to manage application development and promoting from development to staging to production using configurations.

What needs improvement?

They could provide a template for application deployment and building services and routes so it can all be promoted as a bundle if needed.

This would allow the promotion of the application (which includes the Spring Boot jar, the Kubernetes Service, the Kubernetes Route, dependencies such as properties or secrets) from development through the production environment.

We have been using the solution for four years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I did not use the technical support but I do look up plenty of resources on the OpenShift blog which is useful.

We were using individual Tomcat on VMS for a high availability and scalable architecture.

The setup is straightforward if you understand concepts from a Kubernetes cluster development. I have done CoreOS cluster development so I am familiar with much of the setup.

I would try the online public OpenShift instance first and see if it is something that would provide benefit to each enterprise architecture and then go on from there.

We have found RedHat OpenShift to provide the best solution and ease of use.

What other advice do I have?

Try out OpenShift or read up on it first to see the benefits. Also build a Kubernetes cluster yourself to know what goes on under the hood in OpenShift.