OpenShift Review

Right now the major point is cost effectiveness. The improvements I am expecting will be better presented when in full production.

What is most valuable?

The pod solution and the on-demand solution are well suited, although I have feelings of loss regarding not using VMware.

It is promising though. The project we are on is large scale so further information would be far more pertinent when fully deployed I think.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

For some reason there have been some DNS issues. At this time I am not convinced it is OpenShift though. I will have to circle back to this one.

We have just bought the solution and started using it recently.

There have been some DNS issues.

We did not yet encounter any issues with scalability but I am looking forward to our first "go day."

This isn't really an issue. I haven't really called upon support yet. Red Hat reps have been really quick to respond on other issues though.

We were using VMware which is more expensive for no good reason. Thank you OpenShift.

Linux in general is a different flavor. Nothing out of the unexpected. Though, as in all things, there is room for improvement. One solid BIN would be nice.

In the installation of ORIGIN, using the playbook and Ansible install in the Docker, there are fixed points which would make the install easier.

Save money and get OpenShift. Literally.

We evaluated VMware, but then I am biased. I will always choose Red Hat as I know all too well what it does as opposed to other solutions. I am not knocking other solutions, but Red Hat wins in the long run.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Take the time to analyze what you really want and need. I am not saying this is the absolute answer to all your questions as that would be unreasonable and naive. I personally believe that at least 75% of cases probably should be directed at Red Hat in general.