OpenShift Review

Valuable Features

The software defined network is the best feature in my opinion. While not as flashy as the container scheduling and health monitoring, the usage of a software defined network means administrators existing expertise can be leveraged.

The SDN's usage of existing protocols means it's easier to modify and customize OpenShift.

Improvements to My Organization

I've assisted our clients in streamlining with development and deployment processes, achieving orders of magnitude reductions in time to market.

Room for Improvement

Possibly, the most complicated part is the configuration for an application. Other solutions do have easier ways to configure an application deployment, but they also come with greater restrictions.

Use of Solution

Three years. I've been involved since some of the initial installations with Red Hat pilot customers.

No, I have not had any stability issues with OpenShift.

No, OpenShift is imminently scalable. Easy to deploy more containers. Easy to deploy additional nodes. Automating dynamic scaling capabilities was trivial.

OpenShift is supported by Red Hat, with their usual industry leading SLAs.

As a consultant, I have no installed OpenShift for my own solutions. But I have worked with Openshift and Cloud Foundry. Both are excellent products. But some of the limitations inherent in Cloud Foundry made it unfeasible for several of my clients.

The initial installation is trivial. Red Hat has automated the installation using Ansible.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

OpenShift is available in Red Hat's usual open source support subscriptions.

Other Solutions Considered

Not really applicable to my situation. I support several products and recommend, then implement the best solution for my clients' needs.

Other Advice

While a PaaS is not for everyone, OpenShift mixes the best combination of new technology with the reuse of existing technology. This reuse of familiar options gives OpenShift simpler integration, and greatly reduces the learning curve for new users.

If you need a PaaS with the ability to customize it to handle more complex deployments using protocols other than HTTP, or you need a solution that will scale from a developer's workstation to a multi-site global installation only, OpenShift gives you that flexibility.