OpenShift Review

Flexible in terms of infrastructure and integrates well with other tools

What is our primary use case?

We have a PaaS solution built on OpenShift with more templates and shared services for a containerized application environment.

So, the solution built will be using PaaS that is built on Openshift and hosted in a hybrid PaaS (dedicated & AWS) for building, deploying, and managing microservices-based applications.

We will be using many features of OpenShift for scalability, availability, and security (TLS/OAuth, IdAM integration).

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is providing a platform with OOTB features that are difficult to build from scratch. As the organization for which I am building solutions is embarking on a digital transformation journey, OpenShift is providing one of the key platform capabilities for the digitization of the application landscape.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find most valuable are:

• DevOps
  • Container orchestration
  • Scalability
  • Multi-cloud options
  • Flexibility in choosing routers, load balancers, and monitoring tools
  • Configuration options for creating an automated DevOps pipeline using tools like Maven, Ansible, and Jenkins
  • Easy configuration for scalability

What needs improvement?

Most of the configurations are command based. If we can have a GUI-based configuration with better flexibility then it will be great.

You need to have in-depth technical knowledge of the platform to do any kind of application setup due to the complexity of configurations related to infrastructure, security, etc.

Maybe in the future, we can get multi-cloud options such as GCP, Azure, etc.

Nine months.

I have not used any other container orchestration platform, except Kubernetes, which is the base platform for OpenShift.

My role was not one of evaluation, so I did not participate in choosing the product.