Opsview Monitor Review

We like the iOS app which lets us acknowledge issues or see warnings from our mobile phones away from the office.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature we've found is really just how easy it is to add servers and devices to the monitor. We also like the UI and applications. What we've also found that we like the iOS app which lets us acknowledge issues or see warnings from our mobile phones away from the office.

How has it helped my organization?

Our functioning has definitely improved because we previously did not have any monitoring for our servers. We didn't even know when our hard drives were filling up, and the situation has now improved dramatically. With the monitoring capabilities, I can tell when things happen and be proactive about them instead of constantly putting out fires. This is a huge improvement.

There's also a management module that we haven't fully utilized, but it's something that we're looking forward to using.

What needs improvement?

I wish they'd update the iOS app, which, I think, is the same version I used back in 2012 or so. It's always looked pretty much the same. As for the web version, things like the acknowledgements are better, but I'd rather use the iOS app because it's easier and quicker to acknowledge and schedule downtime.

Also, I took their training for the reporting module, and it's quite complicated. I'd like more functionality than just drag-and-drop to build a report, which we had to do with SQL queries. This is an area of that needs improvement because it requires that we have time for development time in order to do SQL queries.

I think, though, that pretty much everything else is great with the new version 5. We're able to add hosts and do other things so much easier than with the previous version. There's a massive improvement and I'm pretty happy with it.

We've been using since December 2015.

We've had no issues with deployment.

There have been no stability issues since we began running it in December. The only time it's been down was when we were patching the server that it runs on. All the services run, even with out new service watchdog. It monitors itself and I haven't gotten any notes about it going on.

Our department's quite small, but from what I can tell, it's definitely scalable both up and out. We have around 200 servers, but the monitoring service uses only one server that's not clustered, although I'm sure clustering wouldn't be difficult with Opsview.

Technical support is super knowledgable. During our trial period, I ran into some issues and they were very responsive. I never had any issues trying to get them to answer any questions. They didn't make me feel like an idiot.

I used Opsview in my previous job and that's the reason why I went with them here in my current role.

It's straightforward, perhaps because I used it before, but this version is super easy to install. I followed the instructions on the website and the installation was pretty much automated.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to use the 30-day trial and see if it meets your needs. It fit my needs, my vision, and the price was right.