Opsview Monitor Review

It allows proactive event management for infrastructure and business services.

What is most valuable?

For me, scalability and reliability are the product's most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows proactive event management for both infrastructure and business services.

What needs improvement?

Opsview lacks few features. All of the areas we listed for improvement were implemented in version 5.

Nonetheless, if it were to become more than a super monitoring tool, I would wish for an integrated CMDB and call-logging module to create a standalone integrated IT service management system out of it. It has the potential!

I have used this solution for two years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability in our implementation.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability. It easily scaled up to two datacentres when the need arose.

Technical support was professional and knowledgeable.

We used Nagios Core Open Source, so we had no certifiable support.

Setup was straightforward. Population of checked hosts was automated, thanks to the RESTful Web API. We added multiple hosts and check configurations this way.

I feel that the pricing is fair and well worth it for the value extracted from it.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Icinga.

What other advice do I have?

Plan carefully and use the wiki!

More Opsview Monitor reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Opsview, Nagios, Zabbix and others in Server Monitoring. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
3 Comments

author avatarit_user289056 (Enterprise IT Management Consultant with 51-200 employees)
Top 5Vendor

Can you provide information as to what detailed functionality the product offers? What algorithms, what views, what data feeds, what data outputs
...

author avatarit_user488880 (IT Operations - Senior Analyst / Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

Hi Philippe. Yours is a rather global query that could be answered by reading available knowledge for OpsView. Could you be a little more specific please? For instance: "how was the RESTful API leveraged to populate the hosts and associate them with specific host templates in your monitoring environment" ?

Top 5Vendor

Hi Wayne, thanks for coming back. Let's start with this:
What triggers the webservice call and have you automated the matching of the templates to the monitored configuration items?
Can you also please point me to the doc you are referring to?
Many thanks!